|Study location||Belgium, ONLINE|
|Type||Inspire / Summer Schools, distance learning|
|Application fee||€250 one-time
A small portion of the total cost of the program is charged as a participation fee. Course fees for 2021-entry will be EUR 250.
Undergraduate diploma (or higher)
The course is open to Bachelor, MSc and PhD students as well as graduates and professionals interesting in food systems and the aquaculture sector. The course would also suit aspiring entrepreneurs or professionals wishing to move into this sector.
Our Sustainable Aquaculture Inspire Course is designed for individuals that are passionate to transform our food system into a fair, healthy and environmentally-friendly food system for all. In particular, we are looking for aspiring entrepreneurs with a keen interest in the aquaculture and the marine sector, who would love to come up with innovative potential business ideas to revolutionise the industry.
Ideally, we are seeking Undergraduates, Masters students, PhD students, Posts-Docs, young professionals or aspiring entrepreneurs interested in aquaculture. We are interested in individuals from multidisciplinary backgrounds to work in teams to come up with innovative ideas e.g. Marine Biology, Aquaculture, Food Sciences, Engineering, Business / Marketing, Informatics and Computational Science, among others.
The entry qualification documents are accepted in the following languages: English.
A motivation letter must be added to your application.
All applicants are required to upload a motiviation letter. In this letter we would like you to outline:
• Your background (e.g. scientific domain, work experience, voluntary work etc.) and the potential and/or future link with aquaculture and the food system
A small portion of the total cost of the program is charged as a participation fee. Early Bird Fee for 2021 entry is EUR 250 (applicable by 24 Sept). From 25 Sept full price to pay EUR 300.
Aquaculture is an important source of aquatic food and sector for food security as many wild fisheries around the globe are over exploited or reaching their maximum sustainable potential. As a result, aquaculture has become one of the world’s largest growing food production technologies. Algal biomass production is a rapidly growing field with huge opportunities for entrepreneur’s in food production and nutraceuticals. Whilst, shellfish and finfish cultivation and fish feed production present further opportunities. In order to maximise these worldwide opportunities; knowledge of related technology and its application is vital.
The Sustainable Aquaculture Inspire Course provides participants with an overview of aquaculture production in Europe; outlines the current barriers and facilitators to production; showcases the worldwide opportunities; supports participants in creating innovate solutions which increase the productivity and profitability of the aquaculture sector; and introduces participants to key stakeholders in the aquaculture and agri-food sector.
The Inspire Course will include a mixture of online learning materials, guest speakers and activities related to food security and sustainable aquaculture production:
• Food security: challenges in the food system; and the role of aquaculture in taking pressure off over-exploited and wild fisheries and feeding a growing population
• Finfish and shellfish culturing methods: – introductory training and theory
• Algal biotechnology: incorporating both micro and macro algae and how they are involved in the sustainable aquaculture pipeline
• Aquaculture governance and society: covering governance in aquaculture and marine management legal and regulatory frameworks; public perception, social license and behaviour; and engagement, communication and marketing
• Barriers and facilitators to aquaculture production: from a stakeholder’s perspective – economic, environmental, technical, political, welfare and market factors
• Entrepreneurship content to facilitate the development of innovative solutions to increase the productivity and profitability of the sector
The Sustainable Aquaculture Inspire Course will be delivered fully online and conclude with a final pitch event with fantastic prizes up for grabs!
A cohort of motivated participants from across Europe will join our Aquaculture Inspire Course. Over a period of 4 weeks, the course will provide a dynamic and supportive environment for you to explore sustainable aquaculture, develop your entrepreneurial mindset and learn how you can transform your ideas into business propositions.
The Sustainable Aquaculture Inspire Course will take place online with a combination of online learning resources; and live interactive virtual sessions:
• Monday 1st November: Access to online learning resources
• Friday 5th November: Live Virtual Kick-off Event
• Friday 12th November: Aquaculture Production Systems Live Event
• Weds 17th – Monday 22nd November: 4-day Live Aquaculture Industry Showcase & Make-a-thon
• Friday 26th November: Live Aquaculture Pitch Event with Prizes
All of our live events will take place from 10:00-15:30 CET. They have been designed to avoid online fatigue whilst ensuring you have an opportunity to meet a range of stakeholders involved in the food system and aquaculture sector.
Our online learning resources are available for you to complete in your own time. We have spread them into key topics areas of approximately 2-4 hours worth of content each:
• Food Systems
• Finfish and shellfish production systems
• Algae biotechnology
• Barriers and opportunities for the aquaculture sector
• Entrepreneurial content
If you would like to hear more about our Summer School and timings, please contact Michaela on M.email@example.com.