|Study location||Belgium, ONLINE|
|Type||Inspire / Summer Schools, distance learning|
|Application fee||€250 one-time
A small portion of the total cost of the program is charged as a participation fee. Course fees for 2021-entry will be EUR 250.
Undergraduate diploma (or higher)
The aquaculture summer school is designed for individuals that are passionate to transform our food system into a fair, healthy and environmentally-friendly food system for all. In particular, we are looking for aspiring entrepreneurs with a keen interest in the aquaculture and the marine sector, who would love to come up with innovative potential business ideas to revolutionise the industry.
Ideally, we are seeking Undergraduates, Masters students, PhD students, Posts-Docs, young professionals or aspiring entrepreneurs interested in aquaculture. We are interested in individuals from multidisciplinary backgrounds to work in teams to come up with innovative ideas e.g. Marine Biology, Aquaculture, Food Sciences, Engineering, Business / Marketing, Informatics and Computational Science, among others.
The entry qualification documents are accepted in the following languages: English.
A motivation letter must be added to your application.
All applicants are required to upload a motiviation letter. In this letter we would like you to outline:
• Your background (e.g. scientific domain, work experience, voluntary work etc.) and the potential and/or future link with aquaculture and the food system
Aquaculture is an important source of aquatic food and sector for food security as many wild fisheries around the globe are over exploited or reaching their maximum sustainable potential. As a result, aquaculture has become one of the world’s largest growing food production technologies. Algal biomass production is a rapidly growing field with huge opportunities for entrepreneur’s in food production and nutraceuticals. Whilst, shellfish and finfish cultivation and fish feed production present further opportunities. In order to maximise these worldwide opportunities; knowledge of related technology and its application is vital.
The Sustainable Aquaculture summer school provides participants with an overview of aquaculture production in Europe; outlines the current barriers and facilitators to production; showcases the worldwide opportunities; supports participants in creating innovate solutions which increase the productivity and profitability of the aquaculture sector; and introduces participants to key stakeholders in the aquaculture and agri-food sector.
The Summer School will include a mixture of online learning materials, guest speakers and activities related to food security and sustainable aquaculture production:
• Food security; challenges in the food system; and the role of aquaculture in taking pressure off over-exploited and wild fisheries and feeding a growing population
• Finfish and shellfish culturing methods – introductory training and theory
• Algal biotechnology – incorporating both micro and macro algae and how they are involved in the sustainable aquaculture pipeline
• Aquaculture governance and society, covering governance in aquaculture and marine management legal and regulatory frameworks; public perception, social license and behaviour; and engagement, communication and marketing
• Barriers and facilitators to aquaculture production, from a stakeholder’s perspective – economic, environmental, technical, political, welfare and market factors
• Entrepreneurship content to facilitate the development of innovative solutions to increase the productivity and profitability of the sector
The Sustainable Aquaculture Summer School will be delivered fully online and conclude with a final pitch event with fantastic prizes up for grabs!
A cohort of motivated participants from across Europe will join our Aquaculture Inspire Summer School, commencing on 16th August. Over a period of 4 weeks, the summer school will provide a dynamic and supportive environment for you to explore sustainable aquaculture, develop your entrepreneurial mindset and learn how you can transform your ideas into business propositions.
The Inspire Sustainable Aquaculture Summer School will take place online with a combination of online learning resources; and live interactive sessions:
• Monday 16th August: Access to online learning resources
• Friday 20th August: Virtual Kick-off Event
• Friday 27th August: Aquaculture Production Systems – Live Event
• Weds 1st – Monday 6th Septemeber: Live Aquaculture Industry Showcase & Make-a-thon
• Friday 10th September: Live Aquaculture Pitch Event with Prizes