|Study location||Belgium, ONLINE|
|Type||Inspire / Summer Schools, distance learning|
|Application fee||€250 one-time
A small portion of the total cost of the program is charged as a participation fee. Course fees for 2021-entry will be EUR 250.
Undergraduate diploma (or higher)
The course is open to Bachelor, MSc and PhD students as well as graduates and professionals interesting in nutrition or food. The course would also suit aspiring entrepreneurs or professionals wishing to move into this sector.
English is a necessity.
A motivation letter must be added to your application.
Do you want to learn how to create and market a food product? One that aims to meet the needs of a specific consumer group? APPLY NOW for the summer school Targeted Nutrition!
You will learn how to develop healthy innovative food products for consumers with specific nutritional needs. Get to know the problem: Understand the target groups with specific nutritional needs or where nutrients are currently lacking in a particular population group. Understand how to develop food products; from the consumer understanding and ingredients, through to food processing, food safety and packaging, as well understanding the UK and EU’s policy landscape.
Collaborate with other learners to design and assess existing product formulation processes and learn how to communicate with various stakeholders to become the future of food entrepreneurship!
Learners will gain experience from academics from the University of Reading, Aarhus University, and from the food cooperative group Grupoan, as well as drawing on the experience of other small food companies.
Topics to be covered include targeted Nutrition, food product ingredients, technology, labelling, sensory science, identifying a market segment, intellectual property, food safety, flavour and consumer needs and building a business.
What you will learn:
- Learners will develop their knowledge about the nutritional needs of these populations and how they differ to the general population. These will include infants, children, adolescents, or older adults. These group will be targeted as they are most at risk of nutritional deficiency or overnutrition, which can have implications for the development of non-communicable diseases and life-long ill health.
- Learner will apply their nutrition knowledge to devise a new product for a specific target group.
- Learners will be challenged to synthesis a defined product specification, evaluate, and construct the progression of a new food product from the development stage to commercial production.
- Learners will analyse the product lifecycle and evaluate the environmental impact.
- Learners will be supported by food industry representatives allowing students to develop creative thinking, innovation, and entrepreneurship.
A small portion of the total cost of the program is charged as a participation fee. Early Bird Fee for 2021 entry is EUR 250 (applicable by 8 Aug). From 9 Aug full price to pay EUR 300.
In the summer school, learners will be challenged in groups to develop healthy food products for specificed target group. Groups will be inspired through flipped classroom learning on the focused needs of each group, including market gaps and business opportunities, nutritional requirements and policy, and technological innovation. They will then be challenged to prepare a defined product specification, evaluate, and construct the progression of a new food product from the development stage to commercial production, considering product lifecycle and environmental impact. The projects will be supported by food industry representatives allowing students to experience creative thinking, innovation, and entrepreneurship.
The summer school will be delivered fully ONLINE.
A cohort of motivated participants from across Europe will join our Targeted Nutrition Inspire Course. Over a period of 4 weeks, the course will provide a dynamic and supportive environment for you to explore the development of food products for targeted consumer groups, develop your entrepreneurial mindset and learn how you can transform your ideas into business propositions.
The Targeted Nutrition Inspire Course will take place online with a combination of online learning resources; and live interactive virtual sessions:
• Monday 14th March: Access to online learning resources
• Tuesday 15th March: Live Virtual Kick-off Event last 1.5 hours
• Monday 14th March – Monday 4th April: Online learning activities to be completed asynchronously in your own time and at your own pace
• Monday 4th April – Thursday 7th April: 4-day Live Target Nutrition Bootcamp where you will design and prototype your own Targeted Nutrition Food products
• Friday 8th April: Live Targeted Nutrition Pitch Event with Prizes
These sessions have been designed to been interactive and avoid online fatigue whilst ensuring you have an opportunity to meet and engage with a wide range of experts and stakeholders across the nutrition and food product development lifecycle.